Spreadsheet painting (in progress)

…has been surprisingly productive, especially considering all of the stuff that’s been going on! Before I left for SF I started this painting. I needed to draw a grid of dots, so I marked things off with tape. Then the real work began. I had previously printed out pages of random numbers generated in Excel, and punched the numbers out using a hole punch. (Great hand exercise…) I painted concentric circles of color corresponding to each number, and then placed the punched out number in the middle. I did this at random (placement-wise) at first, so I could work out[…]

Read more

San Francisco locks

My lock portfolio is about to get a massive infusion. I’ve seen some great ones around the world lately…out for a walk in Camden, then in San Francisco, and especially in Venice, where Lefteris and I spent last weekend. For today: locks of San Francisco. Well, the first is from Burlingame, but the rest are from the Mission district. I love the juxtaposition of the various lock/jail/freedom/free/finance messages. I would’ve shot this even if there wasn’t a physical lock there! I thought these door buzzer locks were interesting (love the one with “bottom, middle, top” in a vertical list…). But[…]

Read more

Wandering around London…

I was hoping to go somewhere this weekend, but allergies and a cold combined really got the better of me. So instead, one more weekend in London. Unfortunately I’m having serious computer issues and can’t even deal with RAW files right now. I finally set my camera to shoot RAW + JPG–and I guess I’ll have the source files handy to go back to later. Better than nothing? 110 is the perfect number to describe this scene, and I love it when that happens: At the Tate Modern:

Read more

505: Complete (for now)

Like 200, this one is done by virtue of the fact that I’m gone and can’t work on it anymore. Had some issues with the gloss/matte mediums that haven’t been problematic before, which I’m sure is due to using lighter paint colors. So I think I will go back and highlight that when I return, but it’s done for now: The numbers are there, at the bottom…

Read more

200: Complete (mostly)

This one is similar to 641 and 407, but unfortunately the numbers themselves are impossible to see straight on… …but they’re there: When I get back from the summer abroad, I may go back and make some adjustments to bring that out–maybe paint the number in a slightly “off” color or something, then go over it again in the matte finish. Love the texture in this one, though. Very happy with that!

Read more

200: in progress

Last night I did the texture; today I did the color. I think it’s clear by now that these are done with latex house paint. Today I had the yellow paint mixed and they could only do a semi-gloss because of the pigments–so when I add the numbers in a matte finish, I’ll also gloss-ify the rest of the color field. Hoping to do one more of these before I leave for London on Thursday, but who knows… I really enjoy these paintings. The paint is mixed directly on the canvas, and the more of this I do the more[…]

Read more